The ParentChild+ model is designed to build school readiness where it starts: the home. Each family is matched with a community-based Early Learning Specialist (ELS). Each week, the ELS brings a new high-quality book or educational toy that is a gift to the family. Using the book or toy, the visitor models reading, conversation, and play activities designed to stimulate parent-child interaction and promote the development of the verbal, cognitive, and social-emotional skills that are critical for children’s school readiness and long-term school success.
Become a ParentChild+ Family
If you are a parent of a 1 to 2 year-old child and live in Columbus, you may be eligible for a special program that helps prepare your child later for school success! The ParenChild+ program provides a home visitor who visits twice-a-week over a two-year period. Families receive a free book or toy every week.
- FREE educational books and toys for your child
- Strong relationships with the home visiting staff
- Get connected to a wide range of community resources including: food, housing, health, and educational services.
- Staff work with families to ensure that children are enrolled in high-quality center-based preschool upon completion of the program
This program is made possible with support from our community partners:
- American Electric Power Foundation
- Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation
- Ingram-White Castle Foundation
- Siemer Family Foundation
Become a Home Visitor
Are you someone who likes to work with young children? Do you feel comfortable working with parents? Then you might be a candidate for an awesome opportunity as an Early Learning specialist?
- Availiability to work with families (with breaks) from September to May or June 2019-2020
- Training (a total of 16 hours or less depending on you background/experience)
- Family Visit: you visit your family for 30 minutes twice a week
- Paperwork: you record each visit on an easy to use form
- Group Supervision/Meetings: occur once per week when visits are scheduled